Friday, May 15, 2009

Making us human.

It is funny how often I, and probably everyone else, hear people say things along the lines of 'the thing that separates human's from animals is _____'. And often what the blank is filled with is something related to the speaker's field of interest. I remember once hearing a lecture on the virtues of some bitter vegetable I can't remember the name of, and the speaker actually said that being able to enjoy certain bitter tasting foods is the one attribute separating human's from other animals. (though usually something less silly is said such as 'empathy'. note: many other mammals feel empathy. Doing a google search on this topic I have noticed almost every possible human trait is mentioned as being THE thing which separates us from other animals.)

It seems unlikely to me, that despite millions of years of shared evolution there would be one attribute unique to only humans, and that this one attribute would be what distinguishes us from other animals.

What distinguishes us from other animals is not a single trait that we have and others don't, but many many traits, shared by many other animals, that exist in humans to different degrees than in other animals. It is the sum total of these traits that make us different. For example, humans are distinguished by being more intelligent than other animals.

Nearly every trait that seems special to humans ends up being discovered in other animals, such as laughter, culture or use of tools. Yet despite discovering seemingly unique human traits in other animals, we don't feel ourselves any less human or unique because of it. We don't feel that since other primates also use tools there is no nothing significantly different about us, because we all realized it wasn't the mere having of that one trait which defined us.
Even if there did happen to be one trait only shared by humans, such as, just for example,...artistic expression, we don't consider those unable to express themselves artistically as inhuman, and if the species as a whole lost the ability for artistic expression we would not feel we were no longer human. Why? because it would not have been merely that one trait which made us human, or separated from other animals, but many degrees of traits, of which that was only one.

I think this sense of wanting only one definable attribute to separate one thing from another runs deep and occurs all over the place, making some distinctions seem more puzzling than they really are, so it isn't surprising it would often be used in reference to people as well.

The differences between ourselves and other animals are already pretty clear that I find the similarities to much more interesting and surprising. As for whatever sense of specialness or uniqueness we might come from realizing unique human traits, I think our overall uniqueness and ability to dominate every other animal has shown itself enough that we couldn't possibly need any more of a boost to our collective self esteem. If anything, I find learning of the attributes we share with other animals to be more inspiring since it is a reminder of our shared heritage and interconnectedness with both other people and everything else living.

2 comments:

  1. one thing that separates us from animals is smelly human BO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fascinates me with animals that I encounter is the nature of our mutual awareness, much of which takes place through the eyes. But I find that with animals such as horses, sheep and cattle, they don't want to be touched at all but to sniff. This is the way they distinguish one human from another, I believe. I must confess to attempting communication with every creature I encounter, including spiders, flies, slugs and rats. I don't consider myself more intelligent than they because they are as well-adapted to being who they are as I am. Perhaps more so.

    On the other hand I have a certain sense of their being trapped in those animal forms.

    I asked my beloved a question---it was one that's been proposed in a BBC competition to have your question asked by a market research company across the whole nation. The question was "Which would you prefer: to have an after-life or just stop existing altogether?" She chose the latter. I was a bit surprised. But when I thought about it I didn't know what my answer would be. I didn't know what the after-life would be like (without a body!)

    But I wonder if she felt trapped in the body in the way I feel animals are.

    ReplyDelete